Mathu's Travel Journal


Where ever you go, there you are. Live out there, with full intensity. Know what 'alive' means, but especially feel what life tries to tell you. Be open, honest and positive, to all around you, but especially to yourself. Travel.to/Mathu

Monday, November 28, 2011

Mt Amnye Machen Hike.



46 A seven day hike around a holy mountain sounds just like something for me. The mountain was 6282m high, the hike not below 4000m. Here you see Guri Monastery and the sublime white crown with Amnye Machen as highest point.


47 So many red flags above the Gompa (monastery). 


48 Well worn and thrown away body protectors from the real pilgrims.


49 It's hard not to make photo's of prayer flags.


50 Prayer flags with a waving monk.


51 Nomads, living in tents and herding sheep, goats or yaks, invited me for yak milk tea and fried bread.


52 Mother and daughter watching the little movie her son had made with his phone, aren't they pretty?


53 The inside of their tent.


54 At one of the passes where a glacier almost likes the road. As if I'm in Tibet no?


55 Three temple painter of a town further along gave me a ride until I wanted to hike again.


56 The real pilgrims, who, ever TWO steps go down on the ground and lay facedown to worship. It will take them three weeks to circumambulator Amnye Machen.


57 Biiiiig prayer wheels.


58 Tiktiktiktiktik go their hammers. They inscribe stone slabs with Tibetan prayers. People will buy them and build Mani walls with them.


59 I met the temple painters again and HAD to stay for dinner and sleep in their work tent. Here were are 'pulling/flicking' pasta in the pot.


60 Colourful me between the prayer flags.


61 A Robin Hood of the Chinese hills.


62 A hail/snow storm came over on day three. It was hard (and cold) to find the way.


63 So I stopped at 4pm and put my tent under those flags and behind this main wall. The next morning I woke up to this....


64 Looking back to the prayer flags across the snowfields and being surrounded by high mountains.


65 When I put my tent in the afternoon.......


66 .... and when I woke up the next day.


67 This guy had an extra bed. So before and after the hike I stayed in his very new house, kids running in and out.